In Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 you could run into an Automatic Client Upgrade property being greyed out even if the user is a full administrator.
In this example the user is a member of an Active Directory group called ADSBehWPBSCCMLG that has Full Administrator rights within the Configuration Manager site but is not able to use the Automatic Client Upgrade settings.
- log in with the account which was used when the site server was installed.
- Go to Administration | Security | Administrative Users.
- Open the properties of the Full Administrators.
- Goto the Security Scopes tab.
- Click Add
- Select All Security Scopes.
- Click OK.
All users in the ADSBehWPBSCCMLG group (Full Administrator) are able to change the Automatic Client Approval properties.